University Of Lagos, UNILAG Withdraws Admission List Over Irregularities, UNILAG confirms withdrawal of admission list over alleged irregularities.
There is palpable fear among candidates who have chosen to study at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, in the 2017/2018 academic session, as the institution has withdrawn the first batch of its admission list, which it earlier released last week. Parents and candidates, especially those whose names had appeared in the withdrawn list, who are currently unsure of the correct situation of things, have called on the authorities to urgently address the matter and ensure justice. But the university has confirmed the development, saying the action was necessitated by the need to address grey areas and ensure justice and fairness.
The development, Saturday Telegraph learnt, is not unconnected with the allegations of irregularities and corruption as the list was said to have contained names of some candidates whose results are said to be too poor to deserve placement into the university.
Confirming the development to Saturday Telegraph, the university’s Deputy Registrar, Information, Mr. Oluwatoyin Adebule, said as a responsible institution, the management withdrew the list to investigate the veracity of the allegation of irregularities against it.
He said as soon as the issues are resolved, the list will be released again. According to Adebule, the withdrawal of the list became important so as to protect the integrity of the university, saying it is not in the character of the institution’s management to simply gloss over any such allegation.
He said: “There is nothing strange about the development, it has only confirmed the integrity of our institution and the fact that we have remained “a university of first choice and the nation’s pride.” We have limited spaces but everyone wants to study with us.
So we should expect all sorts of efforts to drag us into the mud but the university management is determined to ensure fairness and justice at all times. “We are currently looking at all the issues and as soon as we are through with the verifications and corrections where necessary, the list will be released.”
It would be recalled that the university had last week released the results of the first set of candidates it offered provisional admission which it regarded as merit list. But suddenly during the week, information had gone viral on social media with anonymous messages have accused the university of inserting candidates with poor scores in the merit list. Specifically, they said the name of a candidate who had scored zero in the university’s post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) test, had appeared on the merit list to study Accounting, among others