About Pan African Scholarship: Eligibility, Requirements And Benefits | We Already Informed You That Pan African University Scholarships Application for Africans (Fully Funded) | 2018/2019 (Masters & PhD is Ongoing.
About Pan-African University
PAU was established in 2011 with support from the African Union and the Association of African Universities. The University offers research and post-graduate training, which means that it is not for those looking to obtain a bachelor’s degree.
The University is not actually a single institution. It consists of four institutes (with the fifth one still in development) located in different regions of Africa. In total, PAU offers 28 Masters Programmes and 14 PhD specializations in its four institutes.
If you want to apply for a scholarship, you should know the country hosting the institute you are interested in.
If you agree to such terms, this is what you can expect in return. The scholarship from the university will cover the following costs:
Pan African Scholarship Benefits
Tuition fees for you education at one of the Pan-African University institutes;
- A monthly stipend ($750 for Master’s students and $1,100 for PhD students) that should cover your cost of living;
- If you are not a resident of the country where your institute of choice is located, you will receive one return ticket for a direct economy flight between your country and the host country.
- If you are a resident of the country where your choice institute is located, you will receive $100 to cover your travel expenses.
Note: The rectorate of the Pan-African University can suspend or terminate your grant for noncompliance with the scholarship agreement. Therefore, be extra careful if you do not want to lose your scholarship.
If you are wondering about the application deadlines, unfortunately, you have just missed the most recent call for applications. The next one (for the 2018/2019 academic year) has not been announced yet. Nevertheless, continue reading to find out more about the Pan-African University and the scholarship offers.
Pan African Scholarship Requirements
Having read about the scholarship, you might want to find out whether or not you are eligible for it. We have compiled all of the requirements here so that you can easily figure that out.
- If you want to apply for a scholarship on the Master’s level, you must fulfill the following conditions:
- Be younger than 30, if you are a man, and younger than 35, if you are a woman.
- Be an African citizen;
- Have a bachelor’s degree in the field you are applying for from one of the recognised universities. The degree should be at least an upper second class or one equivalent to it.
- For those applying for the Translation and Conference Interpreting programmes, they need to be fluent in at least two of the official languages of the African Union, this includes English, Arabic, Portuguese and French.
If you want to apply for a scholarship on the PhD level, you must fulfil the following conditions:
- Be younger than 35, if you are a man, and younger than 40, if you are a woman;
- Be an African citizen;
- Have a Master’s degree in the field you are applying for from one of the recognised universities. The degree should be at least upper second class or one equivalent to it.
Regardless of whether you are applying for a Master’s Programme or a PhD, you need to have the following:
- Copies of your university certificates and your transcript that have been certified;
- Two recommendation letters from your professors;
- A copy of your data page from your passport;
- One coloured photograph (passport format, 2cm x 2cm);
If you plan on applying for PhD, you will also need to attach a 2-4 pages long research concept note, containing a title, research questions and objectives, research significance, etc.
Once you have met the requirements of the scholarship, gather your documents for the new application session. You can visit the website every once in a while to keep track of the application dates.
Pan-African University contains the following thematic institutes:
- Institute for Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation can be found in Nairobi, Kenya at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology.
- Institute for Life and Earth Sciences can be found in Ibadan, Nigeria at the University of Ibadan.
- Institute for Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences can be found either in Yaoundé or in Buea, Cameroon at the University of Buea and the University of Yaoundé II.
- Institute for Water and Energy Sciences can be found in Tlemcen, Algeria at the University of Abou Bakr Belkaïd.
- The Institute for Space Sciences is not yet implemented, but is going to be located in one of the South African universities.
Now that you know what to look for, you can go ahead and start preparing for your application! If you want to see the full list of programmes offered by the aforementioned institutes, click here.
That is all we can tell you about the Pan-African University and its scholarship. We will let you know as soon as the opening of applications for the 2018/2019 academic year is announced. While you are waiting, you can start gathering all the necessary documents and preparing your concept note. Good luck!