The University of Lagos (UNILAG) has released the timetable and guidelines for the 2015/2016 academic session Students Union Government (SUG) elections.
Below are the guidelines for the conduct of elections into the Electoral College, Executive Council and Students’ Legislative Council (SLC):
1. The Executive Positions to be contested for are:
– The President
– Vice President I
– Vice President II *(See Note Below)
– General Secretary
– Assistant General Secretary
– Public Relations Officer
– Welfare Secretary I
– Welfare Secretary II
– Financial Secretary
– Social Secretary
– Sports Secretary
– Internal Auditor
Note: The Vice President II shall be elected from Distance Learning Institute (DLI) and Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) Programme in the University; and election into the position will hold at a later date.
2. Students’ Legislative Council
– Deputy Speaker
– Chief Whip
· Note: The SLC election shall be conducted after the Faculties and Halls of Residence Elections.
3. Only the members of the Electoral College shall vote at the Election of ULSU Executives.
4. Selected/Elected members of the Electoral College must be duly registered for the Second Semester 2014/2015 Academic Session; and shall be selected/elected following the provision in Article 6, Section 1 of the ULSU Constitution (available on the University website: www.unilag.edu.ng).
5. The list of the members of Electoral College shall be displayed on the University website and notice boards of Faculties.
6. Candidates contesting for executive Positions and SLC must fulfill the underlisted conditions or else be disqualified:
– Must have completed one academic session in the University of Lagos.
– Must be in good academic standing with a CGPA which must not be below 3.00.
– Must have NO CARRYOVER. In the case of College of Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry, the candidate must have NO REFERENCE pending and NOT REPEATING the present class.
– Should possess good leadership qualities, with established track record of good conduct.
– Must not have been found guilty of any misconduct.
– Should not hold two elective positions in the same academic year in the University.
– Any student currently holding an elective position in Faculties, Departments and Halls of residence shall resign/his/her position to be eligible to contest for any ULSU executive position and shall forfeit the position earlier held.
7. Every candidate shall collect a Nomination Form from the Students’ Affairs Division at a non-refundable fee of N5,000.00 for the position of President and N3,000.00 for all other positions, payable to: WEMA Bank Plc, Students Affairs Account Number 0121179474.
8. The duly completed Nomination Forms shall be submitted to the Electoral Committee along with a photocopy of the print-out of the candidate’s First Semester 2014/2015 session result.
9. At the submission deadline, the Nomination Forms received shall be screened by the Electoral Committee in conjunction with the Students’ Affairs Office.
10. The List of Contestants into Executive Positions shall be displayed on the University website and notice boards of Faculties.
11. Any complaint on the Voters or Contestants lists should be directed to The Chairman, Electoral Committee through the Secretary of the Electoral Committee for necessary action.
12. Each voter shall be entitled to a vote for each office to be filled. No voting by proxy.
13. Counting of votes shall start immediately after the close of voting at the polling centre.
14. The winner of the election shall be determined by simple majority of the votes cast, and where there is a tie, a rerun shall be duly conducted.
15. The result of the election shall be duly endorsed by the Chairman of the Electoral Committee, Agents of the Candidates, Chief Security Officer (CSO) and Dean of Students’ Affairs (DSA) or their representatives.
16. Any complaint(s) against the conduct of the election should be communicated in writing to the Electoral Committee within 72 hours after the results of election had been announced as provided for in Article 6, Section 4Ss 4 of the ULSU Constitution (available on the University website: www.unilag.edu.ng).
17. No candidate shall be deemed to have been validly elected until any petition(s) pending against such an office had been disposed off.
CALENDAR OF ELECTION ACTIVITIES
August 20, 2015: Issuance of election Guidelines by the Electoral Committee.
August 20 – September 14, 2015: Electioneering Campaign (NO NOISE CAMPAIGN, i.e. no posters, no usage of Disc Jockey (DJ), no rally, no convoy, ACCEPTED MEANS ARE banners, handbills/fliers, UNILAG radio, SMS, one to one mobilization and social media).
August 24 – September 11, 2015: Collection of nomination forms for the members of the Electoral College.
August 25 – September 11, 2015: Collection and Submission of Nomination forms by contestants for Students’ Executive Council.
September 3 – 14, 2015: Screening and clearing of contestants by the Electoral Committee.
September 14, 2015: Release of names of the members of the Electoral College.
September 15, 2015: Release of names of the screened contestants.
September 16, 2015: Manifesto day.
September 17, 2015: Election/Release of Results.
Swearing-in date to be announced later.